The month of December everybody is busy with Christmas shopping, finalizing work contracts, school going children are preparing for the schools to close for the holidays. The weather is usually warm, sometimes too hot, but ideal for bike riding.

This venue was a last-minute booking on the day beforehand. As I had gone up on the Saturday to locate the other venue, further up the road, only to be told at about 15h00 that they could not cater for us on the Sunday. They were having a wedding on the Saturday, obviously I presume with guests staying overnight. I immediately deleted that venues details. So off down the road to Pleasant Pheasant and asking very nicely if we could possibly come for breakfast the following day. Which they said they could do. 5 stars to the staff and restaurant.

So once again get up early on a Sunday, as being the Club Captain, I have a job to lead the riders to the designated venue. The members are always very keen to ride. For me to be first at Damelin, it now looks like I must get up at about 05h00. Anyway, slowly more riders arrived and after everybody was finished meeting and greeting everyone it was time to brief them on the venue and the route.

Off we set onto the N2 turning left onto the M5 over Koeberg Interchange onto the N1 and using the service road past Century City we turned onto the N7 heading North. We stayed on the N7 riding past Richwood/Du Noon, the weigh bridge and all the other off ramps to the different towns, including Malmesbury. Nice dual roadway all the way from Cape Town Northwards. Riding at this time of the day it is coolish, knowing that it is going to get extremely hot later.

We stayed on the N7 until we were almost in Moorreesburg, when we got to the turn off to the right to come into Riebeek West from the far side. Different scenery, a different road that not many people have ridden before. Not long after we had turned off the N7 it was time to turn into the parking area of the Pleasant Pheasant venue. We all sat outside under the trees. Drinks and breakfasts were ordered, and the chatter got going.

Breakfasts arrived quickly and then the chatter went quiet as everybody started to enjoy their meals. Soon it was time to start talking about how much petrol was needed, for some of the riders with smaller tanks, where the nearest petrol station was.

Everybody having paid, they all departed, and I went to say a Very Big Thank You to the staff who had come in earlier to prepare for our arrival. Then I left and returned home via Malmesbury and the N7.

There were 12 members, 2 visitors and 14 bikes. All riders on their own. No pillions.

Categorised in: Uncategorised

This post was written by nomads